Lesson Plan: Native Americans Today


Lesson Plan: Native Americans Today: (https://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/lesson-plans/native-americans-today#ResourceTabs1) 

The main focus of this lesson plan is for students to understand that Native Americans do exist, and aren't vanished, to this day. 

I think the breakdown of the lesson plan is very thought out. For one, students will be able to understand that Native American are around, in present day. It also allows for discussion within small groups, so they can bounce ideas, comments, etc off of one another. I also like that students will be able to read books, from Native Americans, themselves, because I feel like it allows students to fully comprehend the lesson. Students will also be able to understand their past knowledge, to the knowledge the learned throughout this lesson. I think it's very important for students to reflect back on their assumptions before the lesson, because it shows where they were wrong, where they assumed, and the prior stereotypes they have made. Overall, I feel like this lesson plan is broken down very well. 

I do believe that it makes students reflect and challenge stereotypes. For one, many students at that age, typically only believe what they believe, because of the household they're growing up in. I think this allows them to challenge prior assumptions and it also allows them to have a more open mind, and heart to things. Many times, parents get in the way of what a child wants to believe or see, and I think these types of lesson plans, allow students to have their own thoughts and gain knowledge on the unknown. 

Overall, I do love this lesson plan because it pretty much breaks everything down. My favorite part is allowing students to read book from Native Americans, themselves. I feel like this puts a whole new perspective on things and their knowledge. 

The only thing I dislike about this lesson plan is the age group. Yes, all students need an understanding of things within our world, no doubt about it.  But 3rd to 5th grade can be kind of hard to hit the mark because children are typically believing what their parents believe, and it's hard to change that at a young age. I would say 7th to 9th grade is a good range to talk about this subject, because students can get the full perspective on things, and their own thoughts, beliefs, and assumptions. 



 

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed your summary of this lesson plan. I too, think that Native Americans need to be learned about and they can often go left unaccounted for in history. I also like that there are opportunities for students to read things from Native Americans themselves. This gives a better perspective of their life. I do, however, think that grades 4-5 would be a great start for talking about this. Yes, parents may have their beliefs students may not know any better, but that is our job. To provide them with all the resources so they can form their own thoughts and opinions. Fifth graders are very capable and I think it is a good age range. I also agree that having students reflect is a key part of them demonstrating their understanding and what they took from the lesson.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Picture Book: The Colors of Us

Week 2: Identity