Picture Book: The Colors of Us

The Colors of Us By: Karen Katz

Read aloud link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O58brpCvmRs 


This picture book addresses anti-racisim through the different skin colors/tones. Lena goes around the neighborhood with her mother observing the different skin color/tones of different people. Lena describes the skin colors/tones in a way of using food, nature, and things within the environment. She proceeds to go back home and paint a portrait of everyone, using the different colors to make the skin colors/tones. Lena is showing that all skin colors/tones are beautiful and unique in their own way. Each skin color/tone has its own beauty, and Lena does a great job of showing us. 

Something I feel like I would need to be aware of is how the describes the skin colors to different foods, and environmental factors. I think people just need to be aware that she's not describing them in a harmful way, she's describing them in a way of beauty. She's pointing out that each skin color is beautiful in its own way, and many of theses colors are presented in front of us, each day. She's presenting to us the idea of beauty within skin color. 

I truly believe that this book does a good job of addressing anti-racism. For one, there is no domination within the book. The book is describing all the different skin colors, within our own society. It's also allowing children to see their own beauty, within the different skin colors. This allows children to see their own self-image, as beautiful. I think this is an amazing book to put in the classroom because it can bring so much confidence and beauty to a child. 

I think this book does provide opportunities. I think this book is a good learning lesson about race and racism for younger children. It allows them to see the different skin colors/tones within our world, and how beautiful they are. It takes away stereotypes and I think that's big because children need to see the beauty of color, and not just what they assume or hear at home. 

Learning Activity: 

  • After reading the book, I would want students to draw a self-portrait of themselves 
  • Second, I would want them to color it to the best of their ability
  • Third, I would want them to right off to the side a description of their skin color/tone (For example, in the book it said, "her skin color was like honey") (I want students to see the beauty of their skin color through objects within our world) 
  • Fourth, I would want students to share with classmates what they drew, what colors they used, what words the used to describe their skin color, and what they think about their own unique beauty 
  • I think this activity allows students to realize their own beauty and it allows them to see the beauty of their classmates. This is something that could be emplaced in any classroom, and it should be. Children need to see their own beauty. Children need to see the beauty of others, as well.  



Comments

  1. Hi Regan,the book sounds wonderful. I love all of your learning activities. Using the words as the girl used in the story is also a great way to build vocabulary! I was thinking that perhaps something that might be helpful for students to know before the book is that while they can use the words learned they should be careful in their word choice outside the classroom. It would be helpful to explain that while the book uses the words to bring beauty to the range of skin colors, the use in the presence of a strager may not be taken the same way as the girl in the book or classmates during discussions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book and the way it goes through discussing different skin tones. That is so important and it seems to be a very good way to talk about this for younger ages. I love the activity you have paired with it. I especially like your objective of students to recognize their own beauty. I feel like this will be one of those lessons students will always remember as they grow up and talk about it. And if they are future educators, maybe even steal for their own teacher toolkit! I def have a few stolen lessons from former teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Reagan, I really like your post! I agree that it demonstrates anti-racism through the variety of skin colors mentioned in the book, all in a positive way. I also mentioned doing a lesson that involved them drawing a self-portrait. I feel after stories like that, it's important for the students to have time to self reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Raegan! I almost chose this book to evaluate, so I am excited to hear your perspective on it! I like how Lena described the skin tones using food, nature, and environmental things. I feel like this helps the reader be able to think of the color Lena was trying to portray. It could also give a child another way to represent their color skin. I agree that she is describing the colors compared to food in beauty, so making sure that we don't go into reading this book with a negative mindset is very important. This book seems like a great book to read towards the beginning of the year. It would start off the year by allowing the students to feel welcome and comfortable in the classroom! I LOVE your activity! I feel like it really lets the students embrace their identity and show others who they are! This could be something that you hang up in the classroom so your students see it everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Reagan!
    This sounds like an amazing picture book, and I love the theme! Everyone's skin is beautiful! I like that you brought up the fact that we should be aware of the way that she describes skintones, so that we do not take what she's saying to mean the wrong thing. I agree that this book could undoubtedly bring so much confidence to a child! This book, as you stated, does seem to do an amazing job at providing students with confidence and allowing them to see the beauty of their skin! I LOVEEE THE LEARNING ACTIVITY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Raegan! I absolutely love how you focused on the idea of describing with beauty I just thought that was such a beautiful concept. I love that it talks about different skin colors because it is such a problem nowadays when people say "I am not racist, i dont see color", because part of what makes us who we are is our color! I also love your activity, I feel like it is so important for students to really think of what is beautiful about them. Students should love their skin, love that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2: Identity

Lesson Plan: Native Americans Today