Week 2: Identity

 




The book that I'm choosing is "Pink Is For Boys," by Robb Pearlman. This book talks about the how pink is for both boys and girls. It also removes the stereotypical toys, colors, games, sports, etc from specific genders. This reminds a lot about a lesson I had on stereotypes and not placing gender on certain roles, colors, toys, etc. This book could allow children to understand that anyone can love the color pink, anyone can play with footballs, anyone can play dress up, and so much more. The Edutopia website had many great suggestions on how to incorporate identity within the classroom. For one, they mentioned "Classroom Relationships," and I think this is an amazing way to build respect and trust, within the classroom. It allows you to know each student, individually, and it allows the students to get to know one another, with respect. I think we could read this book then proceed to have one day out of each week and state something about ourselves that someone may not know. Getting to know one another, respectfully, builds great relationships and boundaries within the classroom. The Edutopia website also suggests, "Caring Classroom Environments." I think it's important to have this in every classroom because educators need to show that they care for every single student that walks into the classroom. Something I can do is read this book, and have the students paint or color a picture while I'm reading it, then allow them to express why they color or painted it that specific way. Allow the students to freely express themselves within art, allowing them to show it off, and having the attention/focus on each individual, in that very moment. I think these are amazing ways to show that we all love what we love, and we shouldn't be judged for it. I want my classroom to be a place where students can freely express themselves and have no judgement, what so ever. It's a harsh world that we live, and I want my classroom to be a safe space for anyone, and everyone. 

Comments

  1. Hi Raegan! I love what you wrote! I have read this book before and I think its a great and very sweet book. I love the connections to classroom relationships. It really is such a great way to get to know all of the students individually but also for students to get to know each other and to make connections. I completely agree with you when you said that you want your classroom to be a safe environment and a place that everyone can come in and feel accepted and loved for their individualities. I love that your book talks about breaking stereotypes. It talks about it in a way that is easy for young students to understand, by using colors. One question I will leave you with is, how will you get student to feel comfortable enough to open up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abbey! Thank you for response and question! I feel like the main way for students to open up is if you make the environment feel safe. I know I said that earlier, but I feel like that's the most important factor whenever it comes to being comfortable enough to open up, within the classroom. If there are any suggestions that you have, please let me know because I would love to hear them and use them in the future! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Picture Book: The Colors of Us

Lesson Plan: Native Americans Today